Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Bangari Payout System: Vineyard Analogy

If Bangari was a vineyard, a {co-op|Kibbutz|Community Shared Agriculture (CSA)} vineyard, and every word we type was a grape worth a credit, and we sold these grapes fresh at a farm stand, and also made our own jelly and wine...

We are all working together to grow, harvest, process and sell these grapes. How do we share the revenue?

If we were just harvesting grapes, and selling them fresh, it’s easy. Each person gets $100 per bushel that they pick, and that is paid as soon as the grapes are sold to the winemakers and jelly makers, and those that will sell our grapes at retail in their grocery stores.

But, at our Kibbutz, we are cutting out all those middle men. We will make our own wine and jelly with our own grapes, and sell our stuff retail. What happens then is:
  • We get more money for those same efforts.

  • We get “retail” instead of “wholesale” on a larger selection of goods. (jelly, wine, etc.) Thus appealing to a larger customer base. I.e.; Those not just looking for flat spun content but those looking for SEO services, and complete Web sites, stuffed with content produced by us.

  • Drawback - on the fresh grapes it’s a quick turn around, but it takes longer for the jelly, and over a year to get revenue from the same grapes that were grown and harvested to make wine, longer if it’s allowed to “age” increasing the value even more before it’s sold.


As our vineyard gets more seasoned, the time delay won’t have such an effect. However, the $5,000 job we did for IV was like our first harvest. Even though we sold 125,000 grapes for .03 each, so IV could make wine with it, we didn’t sell the entire harvest. I think we sold a third of it. The other two thirds are being processed into wine, and when that sells a year or two from now, we could get another $10,000 from that July 2011 harvest.

Hence the credit system. Bangari Bucks are like a cross between an I.O.U. and stock. This is why it’s important that I’m not seen as the “owner” of this vineyard. I’m the director of the co-op. We all own this vineyard, just like share holders own a piece of a company equal to the amount of money they invested. We are not investing cash, but our efforts instead. Those efforts can be assessed by word count. (we still need to assess other things like editing and posting, that’s why time keeping is so important, and we can’t do “freebies”)

By pooling our resources, we also pool risk. Windfalls and losses are shared equally by the entire Kibbutz. For instance:

After the harvest, Petal had picked 100 Bushels, Natasha 20, before they came to harvest, I spent time and effort equal to picking 1000 bushels. If we get $10 (fake money) for each bushel, or bushel equivalent, Then:

Petal = 100 x 10 =1000
Natasha = 20 x 10 =200
Kevin = 1000 x 10 =10,000

We are holding these I.O.U.’s until our co-op takes in real money. Then we can cash them in. However, they are not “real I.O.U.’s, they are just “markers” because we don’t know what our product is worth until it sells, and finishes selling.

Here is where I want to make it clear why we can’t “earmark” this stuff. It’s enough effort to track how many “bushels” each of us harvested. It has to stop there. This is a co-op. Some of those bushels will go to the wine press, and some to be sold fresh, and I don’t want to track each grape, note what it sold for, and trace back to the person who picked it, and pay them according to what it sold for. Wine from the same grapes; some could be worth $50 per bottle, five years later, some could have turned to vinegar.

If we sold a third of these fresh grapes to a wine maker for $5000 (real dollars) and the other two thirds went to make our own jelly and wine, then:

5000 / 11,200 = .44 (44%)

So, each of us will be allowed to “cash in” 44% of our shares. We can choose not to cash them. Or cash in only 50%. Why would anyone want to do that? I’ve been doing it all along, because I’m trying to get this thing rolling. I’m reinvesting a big portion of what I’m making from this. If any of you feel inclined to “donate” word count to this project, that’s nice, but I would prefer that you accept your “credit” but if you want to not cash them in 100% every time, that will allow newbies to get a little more money as we go. I am also working on an “activity bonus” type system like at Factoidz, but I can’t develop that without the team’s input. And until the system is understood, as is, by the entire team, we have to wait to discuss the “activity bonus”

Petal cashes in 44% of 1000 Bangari Bucks for real money = $440
Natasha cashes in 44% of 200 = $88
Kevin cashes in 44% of 10,000 = $4,400

Then, before the next payout, we will all have less credits going in, but will probably have earned more...

Petal = 560 (1000 - 440)
Natasha = 112 (200 - 88)
Kevin = 5600 (10,000 - 4,400)

Now we work at making jelly. Petal takes a break. Natasha does a bunch of work. Kevin cultivates some new vines indoors.

We earn/ produce:

Petal = 0
Natasha = 1000
Kevin = 1000

Then, we sell $1,000 worth of jelly. At this time this is what we have for total credits:

Petal = 560
Natasha = 1112
Kevin = 6600

1,000 / 8272 = 12%

We each get to cash in 12% of our shares:

Petal = 560 x 12% = $67
Natasha = 1112 x 12% = $133
Kevin = 6600 x 12% = $792

Or, if I felt like I wanted to refrain from cashing in so others on the team could get a bigger pay out, and be that much more encouraged:

1000 / (560+1112) = 59%

Petal= 560 x 59% = $330
Natahsa= 1112 x 59% = $656

I have been paying myself in Bangari Bucks, but haven’t been cashing them in, 100%. I’m looking a little further down the road. Remember, like other contributors to Bangari, we have our own domains, and books to promote and we want Bangari to be the perfect place to do that.

We have to be careful to not look like a “content farm.” This is a reason I’m holding off on posting AdSense. We know that there is much better money in sales. Passive revenue should just be a portion of our income.. We need to establish ourselves as freelance writers, content producers, SEOs, and even robot salesman. We have to get the most out of those things, and that’s going to take study and practice.

There are other tech products besides the spinning robot that we can use for our craft. We can try them, review them, sell them, teach them...all by writing about them, or making video tutorials and other multi-media stuff. Let’s try to upload original photos too. We need “Factoidz-like” photos to head our articles. original pet pictures, photos of ketubot, etc. Is anyone good at close ups... like of computer keyboards, and other things that go well with articles on certain topics? Anyone know an aspiring model who would let you take their picture, acting out for example: “Frustrated at tax time?” Can some one draw a cartoon image of that subject?











16 comments:

  1. OK, I get it. My problem is we may be all gung-ho but in the future writers will come along who want to cash it all in, and demand their cash - what if we don't have it? I suppose we just need to make it very clear in the terms that they can't take out more than there is to take!

    Photos
    Should we put some kind of watermark on the photos to prevent stealing? Should we upload them straight from our hard drive or put them on a Flikr/photobucket type site first?
    Where on BCG should they be posted?

    I just posted some of Sally's stuff and although I didn't time it it took between 10-20 minutes, including proofing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if I'm understanding all of this correctly, it is better to just keep writing than it is to worry about article length, so that we can have lots of original articles going and you can create more by spinning them? I just want to know what I'm supposed to focus on more, because if it's strictly just getting new material out there, I will definitely keep producing! I just needed to know the "goal" that I'm striving for to make it worth my while.

    Math has never been my best subject! lol I followed your analogy though, so I get that we have to split things evenly between our individual amounts of work put in. I get that. Will we be able to view monthly break-downs in order to choose the option to receive payment versus holding on to our bangari bucks? Or will we be given a sum to take or keep back in the pot for next time? I guess I'm used to how Adsense and the other sites show you how much money each article makes per month and their views, so to me I like to see the stats.

    Also, how do I know which of my articles I can post to my blogs thus far and going forward? I've not posted anything yet on my new blog sites that you suggested we create. Can we talk about the specifics of how you want our blogs to look?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more question! Have you finished selling to Vermont Pet Services, or are they interested in content on a recurring basis? Are there other topics you want written? While I don't have a problem with writing more pet articles, I didn't know if there is an "end" to that to make way for other subject matter - I know we discussed my being able to write other topics, so I am just thinking ahead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and fyi - you tagged my last name wrong! lol It's P - O - L - A - K !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Natasha says lets name some niche subjects to create original work for future sales.

    Please repeat why these article on BCG won't be used without permission.

    Also on the front page of BCG we shouldhave a search by subject or a list of content as most buyers will be looking by subject not by writer name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LAst article I posted took 30min that includes proofing and editing on the wordpress site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great! (sorry Natasha Polak) I'l be right back to answer some of these questions. Petal's about plagiarism, I want to answer in new post. First I have to post a piece I did about International Living. This could be an awesome affiliation! This is a "top 10,000" site in the US according to Alexa. If our content can get them good incoming links, and lots of traffic, it could be good for us and them.

    Be right back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Petal: We have to work on the 'Terms' in a formal way. So as we go, I think it's clear that we don't pay out more than we take in. All of what we take in is shared according to everyone's contribution. That contribution is 'noted' in the trade tables where it translates into 'Bangari Bucks.' As revenue comes in Bangari Bucks are cashed in equal to each content producer's total contribution to the entire Bangari Inventory. The only way a contributor to Bangari doesn't get a fair share is if they volunteer not to.

    I'm trying to develop and build in an incentive for contributors to reinvest their Bangari Bucks instead of taking cash for them. I'm open for suggestions.

    Photo watermark?
    Yes. I'm going to embed our link and title information onto the photo. It's easy enough to find stolen pictures, so like with articles, we'll track down the thieves, and make them backlink to our site. Remember, backlinks are valuable!

    Photo Bucket? Where to upload photos?
    I just posted on BCG answering all of that...except for all the stuff we have to figure out together!

    Posting on BCG
    Go back into those posts that you did, and add at least two photos and about four related articles. Put Sally's byline and link it to her page. Then, you need to go onto her page and list those titles under the topics she writes about at Bangari. Don't forget to choose some of the relevant links at the bottom of the edit page. I like to link to WikiPedia articles... I still have to monetize those pages too. Sometimes that is a huge pain. Make sure you keep your time for these additional steps. See, there are a lot more! That's why it takes me an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Natasha: Article length?
    Yeah, it's good to have the originals posted, and just a little spinning work done. We can go back and forth between spinning and posting and original content. You're right, we want to cover a lot of ground on different subjects. When we sell content, we can go back into the RSAs and add content at that time so the SPVs we give our client are all the more original, and different from what we posted on our sites.

    Posting on other sites?
    From what I gather it is best to wait 30 days before posting elsewhere. I'm not sure if this is still true. I think when there is a space of time between links to similar content, it looks more natural. If it's done all in rapid succession it would look to the robots like an SEOer working their magic. So, go ahead and start posting some SPVs on the other sites if you would like. I'll show you how to monetize the ones you put on your clearing house blog. Just make sure you link back to your Topics I write about page on Bangari. If you are posting it at Factoidz or AC, try to 'source" the article with a link to Bangari (it doesn't matter which page, it can be your author page or topic page, whatever) Track your time, and see how the revenue you make outside of Bangari adds up with the work you've done within Bangari.

    Stats?
    You should have access to our site stats. That tells you how many page views an article is getting, and lot's of other handy stuff like where that traffic came from. I'll be posting other stats, like our Alexa ranking as well. Although, this is different from AC and Factoidz, because it is more of a "group effort." We are utilizing the "strength in numbers" philosophy. So, we are concerned with how we are performing as a team. When I first developed the Buzz it Up feature at Factoidz, it was supposed to be based more on a "team effort" to promote certain content...He changed it, leaving my original idea available to try here at Bangari.

    Blog design?
    It's all up to you! I don't like to interfere in other's creative freedom!

    Vermont Pet Services?
    This project should be called "Local Pet Services" ...Vermont Pet Services is just a small part of what I'm trying to grow into a something that can be replicated for use all over the country and world. This project is going to go on and on. We can't get enough "Pet Services" Content, but if you want to take a break, I'm sure we have plenty for now. What topic would you like to write about next?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Petal: Yes! I'm glad to hear you want to get a list of topics to write about, and original angles to take on those topics. On that list should be all the topics we wrote about for Billy's July Project. Those were all very good, and some, like the lawyer ones could be marketed all over.

    Plagiarism?
    When scrapper sites take our content, the robots know it and they devalue their site, which makes legit sites rank better. When we use Google, or Copyscape to track down a piece of stolen content, then we require the site using it to backlink to us. We allow people to take our content under that agreement so they don't have to scrape it in the first place.

    Search box?
    Done! Good suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the informative response!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is there the possibility of another payment this week? I also remember you saying I can view stats, but I don't appear to be able to from the main site.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've noticed that when adding spun content to original articles, mechanical typos are more than likely to happen (i.e., absense of a punctuation mark, no space after one, extra spaces, etc.). In fact, I just noticed this with my article "Best Selling Cat Toys" and wanted to see about having it revised how it is displayed! Typos bug me...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, it's true that it is more difficult to mind punctuation, in and out of the brackets when flat spinning. If the problem is in the RSA, which it usually is, then the typo will be repeated in the SPVs. Ideally, when we see this happening, we correct it in the RSA as well as in the SPV. Then, it isn't too late to correct after it has been posted. It's not only human beings that are bothered by punctuation, spelling, grammar...the robots get turned off by poor quality as well.


    I connected a new bank account to my paypal, and it didn't let me verify it right away for some reason, so, I have to wait another day or two. I still owe Martha a $50 advance, and if I make another advance to you, I should include Petal too. I only got $200 ($100 was my investment) from Vermont Pet Services.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know these advance payments are only confusing the payment system even more, but the system is designed to work when things are really rolling, that is when Bangari is taking in real income from a project like the one we did for IV, and we have a bunch of people working on stuff. In the mean time, I'm trying to scrape up what I can and make these small advance payments to the people who are producing work right now, just to keep you guys encouraged. :-)

    We have someone helping with the posting. I'll check into the mistakes. Thanks for pointing out bugs. Now, you need to be able to post and edit on BCG. Are you set up to do that? Do you know how?

    Remember, we are working on speculation right now. We have to have enough "inventory" of content that is, on our site, and then I can begin my sales campaign. You did a great job on the pet services content! I think you should jump to some other topics now. I want to dig into the file we worked on for IV. There are about 50 potential clients we could land from that. Not to mention, companies like Liberator medical are advertising like crazy, so even if we can't get them for content / SEO, I think we will do well just on passive / Adsense revenue on those articles.

    There is no rush to post to our own sites right now. Rumor has it that it is best to wait about one month before posting similar articles on other sites. Most importantly, REMEMBER: We can't post duplicate content anywhere!! So we have to make good SPVs. Another thing that is holding us back, is that we don't have any pictures! We are supposed to be selling quality "multimedia" content. Almost all bulk content at this point, is "spun out." for people to purchase content directly for their own Websites, it needs to be flashier...Just plain content only sells for SEO purposes.

    You should be able to see stats on our content, just like you should be able to edit. If you go to the bottom of any page on Bangari, there is a link to log in. You need a WordPress account...They are free. My first attempt at posting Amazon was a complete failure. I have to try again. Then, I need to post Adsense. Although, it's still a bit premature. We are only getting about 20-40 hits per day. We won't see much PPC revenue until the numbers are about 100 x that amount. It's recommended that you don't monetize a site until it's getting hits per day in the thousands. Otherwise, you run into problems with "click fraud" Then, Adsense shuts you down for life! It almost happened at Factoidz. That's one of the reasons Mike Quoc changed the payout system...The other reasons were just to screw people over!

    I know money is tight, I'm so broke I can't even pay attention! However, with one of these advances, I mean, as soon as you can, you should buy a robot. You will really need it once we get full bore into posting all this work we have been doing.

    Thanks for everything, everyone! Let's keep it up. It takes a while to build to a point where we start earning, but from what I understand, once we start, there will be a "hockey stick" affect. That is, it will be low and flat at first, then it will shoot up to the max quickly. That's just on passive revenue. We will be getting client revenue as well. I think at the rate we are going, and remember, it's only been 10 weeks since we finished Billy's July Project, we probably have about 10 more weeks before we land another big project like that.

    ReplyDelete