Monday, November 21, 2011

Organizing Bangari DOCs

I know Kevin has rightly said that the organizing of the DOCs is less important than the writing and other functions within Bangari but it's either the housewife or the artist in me that has lead me to organizing my articles in DOCs and I think when we have 100's of writers organization will become essential. So if you have the time and patience to play around with this aspect of Bangari try this.

If every writer has a primary collection under their name: (for example) Petal Mashraki
then within that collection, sub-collections for each project: (for example) Ketubah Project
Site Reviews
Exodus Article
Tattoos Hebrew
and within these collection files all of the relevant article DOCs.

This way it will be easier to find you and your work when needed.

Apart from this there are two other things that could make Bangari DOCs easier to navigate:

**Mark all of your collections and article with a tick - EXCEPT your primary name collection.
then go to "Action" or on the new DOCs "More" and select "Don't show in Home".
This way when we have hundreds of writers with thousands of articles, the home page of Bangari DOCs will just have a list of writer's names.

**Another way of making it all a little easier to read is if you select a color to mark all your content on DOCs. You can look at mine and see that I've made my icon orange. You do this by ticking the box next to your DOCs and then going to "Action" or "More" and selection "change color", then choose your color.

Of course this is only a suggestion and only if you have enough time, but in the future when Bangari is banging we'll need everything organized, easy to navigate and colorful!

6 comments:

  1. Stupid question, but do all our articles that have yet to be spun appear on the shared Bangari DOCs page for any writer to spin? Reason why I'm asking is because in my own DOCs page, I have a few that are showing they need to be spun, but they are also shared (with Kevin) and were linked to when I input my time/word count. I don't have a robot spinner yet so I am only typing original docs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color suggestion, Petal! I wanted to do that early on, and it didn't really stick. I think your other suggestions were great too. I don't worry about folders within folders on Google Docs, only because I use "search" for everything. However, when it comes to sharing folders, which is much easier than going file by file, my way sucks, and yours is better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Natasha: Not a stupid question! I need to get all the pet stuff in it's own folder, and share it with the others who have robots. I don't want to share every article with every member of Bangari. I'm sure that even as we grow, we will break off into many smaller groups collaborating on different projects. So everything will be shared appropriately then. It will be up to the "project manager" to organize and direct this. Tips like Petal's are welcome, and will make it easier for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also just saw these comments now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something wrong with this site. It may not be doing the notifications correctly. It is not registering any incoming links, yet I know we have them. There is a ton of relevant content here, and plenty of tags, but it's not hitting the radar, even though we rank 10 million on Alexa. I can't figure this out! We need a Web designer and an Alexa audit. I hope Santa brings puts a whole bunch of start-up capital in my stocking this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check the settings, there may be something about making links visible.

    ReplyDelete